Many times when I’m working with a first time buyer, they enter the home looking only at the size of the rooms, or the layout of the home and envisioning their things in place- they may get caught up in the smaller details and miss the bigger items that are more important.
I always like to attend showings or open houses if I can with my buyers to show them what I’m walking in looking for- and I’ll share these tips with you for when you’re ready to start shopping!
- Start outside. I love starting outside and walking around the home. I look at the roof, the siding, and make sure everything looks in tact and in good condition. I’ll take note of dangerously overhanging trees, any roof/chimney/siding concerns that a home inspector would mention, and I also take a look at the property lines and see if there’s anything on the property that my buyer would want removed/repaired/remain prior to closing.
- Sinks- I ALWAYS peek under the sinks of the home for any leaks or signs of water damage- and while I’m at it, I’ll check the toilets to make sure they aren’t loose.
- My third tip is to check the age of the water tank. Water tanks typically last about 10 years- on average. If the tank is older, you’ll want to either budget for that, or take that into consideration with your offer.
- While you’re in the basement, open up the electric box and look at the panel- do you have room to grow if you want to add that hot tub or central air?
- Another thing I look at is the furnace- it’s important to know how old it is, and how recently it’s been serviced. I usually recommend asking a seller for that information prior to submitting an offer- no one likes surprises at/after home inspections.
Bonus tip- while you’re down in the basement, in addition to checking the mechanics, take a peek around for any evidence of pests- do they have the black boxes or sticky boxes out?
This is a VERY short list of what I’m actually looking for and pointing out to my buyers at showings- If you want to know what else I’m looking at, let’s set up an appointment to talk and start your house hunting adventures!